Friday, January 20, 2012

What? Again??

Remember how I said "Hubris always begets jinxes" in the last post? Well, apparently, my last post was hubriffic enough to spawn another round of sickness. I'm on day 4 of a cold that just will not end. Where did I get said cold? You guessed it... the germ magnet.

Seriously, I have no idea how Quinn keeps bringing home these devastating illnesses. He doesn't go to daycare, his last doctor's appointment was 2 months ago; where is he picking up all this shit?

The only thing I can think of that might be the culprit is Quinn's desire to put everything in his mouth. Seriously, everything. While I try my best to disinfect everything he comes into contact with, needless to say, I don't get everything. [edit: this picture isn't mine, but totally expresses what I imagine Quinn to be thinking]

It started with a case of the sniffles. I thought that maybe his sniffles were just due to the abrupt shift in temperature (40 degreees down to 10).

Around the same time I decided it would be a good idea to run a 5k. I was driving home from grocery shopping with the germ incubator in the back seat when an ad came on the radio advertising the Milwaukee County Zoo's Samson Stomp and Romp. I haven't been training my running, but I have been strength training, and I had noticed an improvement in my mile time the week before (when is was 40 degrees outside). Plus it was only $17, so I figured what the hell.

Did I mention this was my first 5k, ever?

Race day came and it was 16 degrees outside. I had no idea how to dress. So I overdressed in layers, which mostly got stripped off and tied around my waist before the run. I was probably the bulkiest person there. Luckily, I wasn't terribly serious, so the drag wasn't a concern. My time was 29:21. All things considered, I'm okay with that.

Here's a picture of me after the run. I thought I would look better in the picture if I took off my hat. I thought wrong.

Overall, it was a good experience. I would do it again. Unfortunately, the combination of super cold, running, and exposure to super-mutant child with amazing germ attainment capabilities left me open to getting the cold of a lifetime. So here I am, nearly a week after the run, super phelgmy and exhausted. I just want to get healthy again so I can get back to my normal routine and working out. To quote Rob Lowe's character from Parks and Recreation, "the microchip has been compromised"

No comments:

Post a Comment