Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

So I don't really like the idea of New Year's Resolutions. Why should you wait until this one particular date to make a resolution to change your life? Shouldn't you just take steps immediately to change your life for the better? Or I am I just misunderstanding? Do people treat New Year's like Lent? Are people just implementing change on a temporary basis?

Regardless of the change in date, I am trying to implement some changes. Here they are in no particular order:

  • Floss everyday, if not twice a day.
    I've had to get a lot of dental work done in the last couple months. and it's become apparent that I need to take much better care of my teeth. Even though I brush 2-3 times a day, this does nothing for the cavities I've gotten in between my teeth.

  • Be fit enough to participate in the Tough Mudder.
    My friend competed in this last year, and I was super jealous. I was pretty pregnant at the time, so I couldn't have competed even if I was in good shape. When he described how awesome the event was afterwards I resolved to do it in 2012. I'm doing a variety of training to help with this, and I have a lot of mini-goals to hit along the way. Recently, I just triumphed over one of my longest standing mini-goals: to be able to do a pull-up. That was a great feeling.

  • To worry less about what others think of me.
    This is another long standing goal of mine. I tend to get easily worked up if I think someone doesn't like me. This may come as a surprise given how callous I can be in casual conversation.
    This is probably a good reason for me never to go on the internet either. When people (strangers) post mean comments on my blogs or website or whatever, I get upset when I know I should just blow it off. I've gotten better, but I still have a long ways to go. As much as it would probably be a good thing for me to abandon the internet, I just can't stay away (this blog being a good example of my inability to stay away). Instead of resolving to be a web-recluse, I've decided to toughen up.

  • To actually eat healthier.
    Okay, this one has been a work in progress.
    I go through phases where I eat healthy, punctuated by phases where I eat with reckless abandon. I'm not looking for a complete revamping of my entire diet, but rather a little moderation. One thing is for sure, I do need to reign in my sweet tooth (see first resolution). I'm pretty sure I'm on the path to getting type 2 diabetes, and I'd really rather avoid it.
Yeah, some of those goals are typical New Year's Resolutions (eat right and exercise), but I resolved before it was trendy, so there. Also, you may notice that "not buying extraneous materials" wasn't on the list. That's because I plan on keeping that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment